There Is Always Music In Suzi's World

There Is Always Music In Suzi's World

Monday, January 11, 2016

RIP David Bowie

January 8, 1947 - January 10, 2016

David Robert Jones, known professionally as David Bowie, was an English singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, arranger, painter and actor.  He was a figure in popular music for over four decades, and was known as an innovator.  His influence on pop music is unique; he reinvented his own image multiple times and constantly challenged the core belief of rock music of every decade since the 60's.

I personally knew and loved the song "Space Oddity" as long as I can really remember.  And "Changes" represented the angst of my teen years.  But, sometime during the year I turned 18, one of our famous "midnight movie road trips to Atlanta" put me in the theater watching the movie "Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars Farewell Tour."  I'm only kinda joking when I say that it changed my life.  Maybe you could say I grew up a bit sheltered, but there was something about seeing this amazingly beautiful and talented man just doing and being whatever he wanted, and doing it so well, that I found very liberating.

My younger brother bought me the cassette tape of that farewell concert, and I literally wore it out.  It played in my car constantly throughout my late teens and early 20's.  To this day, I can quote and sing pretty much the entire show.

But, David Bowie was so much more than Ziggy Stardust.  Throughout every incarnation of his iconic career, he continued to challenge what was expected; to break ground with new and different sounds and styles.  From his "plastic soul" sound, the Thin White Duke, to 'Scary Monsters,' 'Tin Machine,' collaborations with other super stars like Queen, Mick Jagger and more.  He was also an accomplished actor.  One of my favorite memories will always be the Goblin King from "Labyrinth."

"You remind me of the babe."
"What babe?"
"The babe with the power."
"What power?"
"The power of voodoo."
"Who do?"
"You do."
"Do what?"
"Remind me of the babe."








In a strange turn of events, this iconic star released his 25th and now final album on his 69th birthday, January 8...  just 2 days before his death.




It is reported that David Bowie had been fighting cancer for the last 18 months.  I saw a rumor saying it was liver cancer, but his family has not confirmed.
Fuck Cancer.  It has taken another life from the world far too soon.


"Not only is it the last show of the tour...it's the last show that we'll ever do."



What is your favorite David Bowie song?

No comments:

Post a Comment