There Is Always Music In Suzi's World

There Is Always Music In Suzi's World

Friday, March 20, 2015

In The Spotlight: Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires


If you know me very well, it’s probably no surprise for you to find Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires in the spotlight.  Each a talented musician in their own right, they are married and recently announced that they are expecting their first baby.  They often tour together, and Jason, who is currently recording a new album, has said that Amanda will be in the studio with him a lot more on this album than the last.  He said when they were recording 'Southeastern,' she was busy planning their wedding!

I discovered Amanda Shires while browsing new music on Amazon about 4 years ago.  She was suggested to me based on other purchases, it was on sale, so I took a chance.  Turned out to be a good find.  I instantly fell in love with a couple of songs, “Angels & Acrobats” and “Days In Blankets.”  I own her first two albums and listen to her frequently.  Her voice is sweet, her songs tend to be light and sometimes downright whimsical.  “Bulletproof” is a fun one.
Tiger Bill gave me a tiger claw from a real Siberian tiger paw and said,
"This'll make you bulletproof."
So I've got this tiger claw from a real Siberian tiger paw, in my front pocket.
And i'm thinkin' now, what if i really could be bulletproof






Jason Isbell was with the Drive By Truckers from 2001-2007.  He recorded and wrote songs on 3 albums with DBT’s before going solo in 2007.  His current band is the 400 Unit, which includes former members of Drivin’ N Cryin’ and Son Volt.  Isbell starting drinking heavily and got into drugs during his time with the DBT’s and continued into his early solo career.  In 2012, his now wife Amanda Shires, with the help of Ryan Adams, managed to get him into rehab.  Now sober, he talks about his days of whiskey and cocaine, says he doesn’t remember much about the good days with the Truckers or his early success, and claims he would probably be dead by now if not for Amanda.  

Currently recording his 5th album, Isbell has earned his place among Americana royalty.  His lyrics are intelligent and thoughtful, the songs are well written and he is just so damn good.  He is currently my favorite musical artist.  Among my favorite songs are “Cigarettes and Wine,” “Alabama Pines,” and “Cover Me Up.”

So girl leave your boots by the bed, we ain't leavin' this room
Til someone needs medical help or the magnolias bloom
It's cold in this house and I ain't goin' out to chop wood
So cover me up and know you're enough to use me for good










Listen to more of Jason and Amanda's music:

...




Who would you like to see in the spotlight?



No comments:

Post a Comment