There Is Always Music In Suzi's World

There Is Always Music In Suzi's World

Monday, January 8, 2018

In The Spotlight: "I'm With Her"


Okay, this was my political status once, but this post is not about politics. It's about a new band that I just found and I have to share it with you. You know that finding new music is one of my greatest joys in life. I'm thrilled to have stumbled across this trio today. Actually, I'm a little surprised they weren't already on my radar; they have apparently been making music together since 2014. 

Sara Watkins, Sarah Jarosz and Aoife O'donovan 
I've been a fan of Nickle Creek for many years; back when Sara Watkins was just a young girl. And I first heard of Sarah Jarosz back in 2010. Her first album was so amazing and I was blown away; it was great, original music, and she was so young. I think she was 18 or 19 at the time. She took a break to go to school before releasing her next album. I was less familiar with Aoife O'donovan and Crooked Still, but plan to remedy that.  The three of them together add up to an Americana supergroup. Each of these Grammy and Americana Award winners brings her own flavor and personality to the mix, but when they blend, it's as if their voices become one instrument. 

The three first performed together as an impromptu collaboration at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in 2014. In 2015 they began to play together more and more at music festivals, and then they began writing together.  They recently announced their first album, titled "See You Around," is due out in February, and they are starting a world tour. I've been listening to songs from the album, plus some covers they have performed, and I am loving them. With Sara playing fiddle, Sarah on mandolin and Aoife playing guitar or even piano, and their voices blending and complimenting each other perfectly... they are a joy to the ears. I do plan to add this to my music files next month, but in the meantime, enjoy these videos. They are not only nice on the ears, they aren't too hard on the eyes either. Their beauty, youth and love of the music they are creating are a pleasure.











Very nice cover of John Hiatt's "Crossing Muddy Water."



Another cover, a Utah Phillips tune this time. Just lovely...



And one more, covering Adele. I love these girls!


Stay tuned for more from I'm With Her.

What do you think of this new trio?


No comments:

Post a Comment